Tuesday, March 23, 2010

March 23, 2009

Well it has been a very long time since I wrote on the blog. Alicia and Liz have given me an opportunity to start writing again. I love the idea that we can share these blogs as a family. So my blog will not be strictly about "How to have a happy marriage", but perhaps the seeds for one will be found in what I record about our daily lives. Today we helped with a mass at a local nursing home. We do this twice a month. I handle the small details with the candles, books and anything the priest needs. We have a new priest from Africa who does not have a drivers license yet. He was supposed to arrive last summer and could easily have received one. Because of lots of red tape, he did not arrive until November. That is also when the snow and ice arrived. This was all new to him and must have seemed insurmountable. So we are happy to pick him up for the masses. It also gives us a chance to get to know him better. At these masses, Bill always does the scripture readings. He is also on a regular schedule to do this at mass on Sundays. I am so very proud of him for doing this. I can give book reviews and conduct meetings, but the thought of standing at the pulpit and reading in church really scares me. I know that Eleanor Roosevelt said we should do the things we fear. I only follow that advice some of the time! When I finish here, I am going to bake some biscuits. Actually I will turn on the oven and then break open the container and put the biscuits on the sheet pan. I still like to call this baking biscuits. Then Bill will select a CD. He likes to surprise me with the music he selects. Then we will sit down in the formal part of our living room and have tea, music and biscuits. We just recently started doing this again and we find it makes our lives a bit more civilized and it is just fun to spend the time together.

2 comments:

  1. The fact that Bill surprises you with music is really funny to me because Nate does the same thing! Everytime we sit down to have dinner or play a board game, he´ll start playing music from his phone.
    Is there a "music picker" gene??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alicia I am so glad that you shared this info with me. I do not know if there is a "music picker" gene, but isn't it great that the men in our lives both do this for us? What kind of music does Nate usually choose? Our collection of CD's is diverse. However, he tends toward Country which we both really like. When Liz was small, she told my mother that we liked country music. My mother told her that she was mistaken and that she knew that we would not listen to "hillbilly" music. Liz could not convince her grandmother, but Liz knew that she was correct. When she came home and told me, I assured her that she was right.

    ReplyDelete