Friday, February 20, 2009

Holding Hands

Some people do not like to show affection in public. That is fine, if that is their choice. However, my husband and I have been holding hands in public since we were dating. That was over fifty years ago. It is a very comfortable thing for us to do.

You may have seen our new president and his wife holding hands as they walked down the street after the inauguration. The media continues to comment on the special relationship they share. It is perhaps a more contemporary partnership than the one Ronald Regan and his wife, Nancy, had. However, the Regan's also held hands in public. I always thought it set a good example for our nation.

The important thing for the marriage/relationship is not showing affection in public, it is that you do frequently show affection to each other. And let me say here, this has nothing to do with sex. Holding hands, giving a hug, touching a shoulder as you pass, these are all ways to remind your husband or wife that you love them and that they are very special to you.

If you have children, it is especially important for them to see you show affection in your home. They know that you hug and kiss them and so they will feel it is the normal thing for their parents to hug and kiss. And you will be good role models for them to use as they grow up and have a relationship of their own. When they see evidence of your love for each other, it will definitely make them feel more secure. I always knew whenever one of our children had heard about a divorce at school. They never came home and just stated that "Johnny's parents are getting divorced. " Instead, they would come and find me, usually as I was preparing supper, and ask "Mommy, are you and Daddy ever going to get a divorce?" They left happily to go back to playing after I had assured them that we were not going to get a divorce. It also helped to reinforce this when their Dad walked in that evening and I met him at the door with a kiss.

I was reminded about holding hands while at church last Sunday. Our priest had commented about Valentine's Day. He said he knew that it was over, but he hoped that all of the couples there, would hold hands as they left the church. He said, by doing that, we would be showing honor for the sacrament of marriage. I had never thought of it in that way, my husband and I just knew it was one way we expressed our love for each other. Holding hands and showing your love definitely helps one to have a long and happy marriage.

No comments:

Post a Comment