Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Valentine's day

This Saturday will be February 14th, Valentine's day. For anyone dating, engaged or married, it is the official day to celebrate your relationship. We have been married for over 50 years and have celebrated this day in so many different ways. Sometimes with the very traditional flowers or dinner at our favorite restaurant or by going to a movie. Sometimes we have been more creative. Last year we made bookmarks for each other. However, my husband's first choice is celebrating without the use of markers, stickers or glue. This year we decided to do something we have never done before. Last Sunday we noticed that our local K-Mart had great Valentine ads. So we decided that we would set a limit of ten dollars and find a gift for each other. We set up some rules. The gift, or gifts, had to be under the ten dollar limit. However, if the taxes took the total over the limit, that would be fine. What fun we had!! With a limit, one has to be creative. The lower the limit the more creative one needs to be. In retrospect, five dollars or even one dollar would have made us really creative. After searching for quite some time, I made two selections which totaled $8.67. And that included tax!! Did I mention that we each went into the store separately? This added to the adventure and the surprise effect we hoped for. Wow, I can't wait until Saturday to find out what surprise is waiting for me. I really hope that my husband likes his treats. Maybe you still have time to try this or perhaps you may do it next year. Whatever you do to celebrate, it is important to say "I love you" in some way every day all year through. That is one of the real secrets to a long and happy relationship.

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to hear what presents you each got for each other!

    We went to the Farmer's Market this morning at Union Square. Bob bought me some yarn from a local sheep farm. (www.catskill-merino.com)They make it themselves and then dye it using natural dyes like from vegetables. We bought some that was a light orange (carrot color...) and a soft brown. I'm going to use it to make him a scarf.

    So - we each got a present! I got some cool new yarn and soon he will have a new scarf!!

    (I think it's a much better ending than O.Henry's Gift of the Magi!)

    Liz

    ReplyDelete