Thursday, April 1, 2010

Appreciate.....deliberately

My husband always keeps a book in our car so he can read while I go into a store that does not interest him. I should add that I do not drive. I could go into a long explanation about this, but I will not at this time. Just accept it. So we go on any and all errands together. We both enjoy this. Anyway, when I returned to our car yesterday, he wanted to read a passage to me from his book. And this is how I discovered this new phrase. Appreciate...deliberatly. I think it sums up something we have been doing in our marriage, but had not expressed it in this way. I think it makes any relationship better when those involved, not only appreciate each other, but take the time to tell each other. Even in retirement, days can become busy and there is the tendency to get caught up in the tasks of the day. However, when we make a concerted effort to slow down we will see how helpful the little things are that we daily do for each other. We have a pretty paper towel holder in our kitchen. It is deep red and has a rooster on top of it. Recently I had noticed that we were getting pretty low on the roll of paper, but just ignored it. Later in the day, I noticed that my husband had taken the time to get another roll of paper out and had put it on the spindle. Take my word for it, it may be a pretty holder but it is a pain to change. I went immediately and found him and told him how much I had appreciated what he had done. So slow down and take the time to start appreciating ...deliberately. I think it will improve even the best of relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment